Helping Families Through Life’s Trials
At the Law Offices of Hicks & Demps, in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, we understand the delicate situations that lead individuals, couples and families to seek legal advice.
Our father and daughter legal team has more than 45 combined years of experience in representing clients in a wide variety of family law situations involving divorce, child custody, paternity, child support and more.
We understand that everyone’s situation is different, as are their legal needs. For more information about our legal services, call us Our Hopkinsville divorce attorneys serve clients throughout western Kentucky, including Fort Campbell military base.
Our Family Law Practice
The following are a few of the family law areas in which our law firm can assist you:
- Adoption. Our practice focuses on family adoptions in which a family member of a child wishes to adopt a child, as well as step-parent adoptions. We also work to complete foster parent adoptions.
- Custody and visitation. We handle all aspects of child custody and visitation, including negotiations leading to the creation of a custody and visitation schedule. As part of our comprehensive family law service, we can represent you at case management conferences regarding your child.
- Child support. Kentucky law has specific requirements for child support obligations and amounts. We can advocate for you if you seek to adjust your child support payment or seek to enforce a child support decree.
- Divorce. Kentucky is a “no-fault” divorce state. We handle contested and uncontested divorces. If a client intends to divorce, we can discuss all options and assets, including accounts, vehicles and debts. We advocate settlement when possible and if it is in your best interest. However, if a court battle is inevitable, we will zealously pursue your interests.
- Post-divorce modifications. When financial, living and other conditions for divorced persons change, a post-divorce modification action may be possible. These can include changes to your divorce decree affecting spousal support, child custody, visitation or other concerns. If you are in the military, or are married to a military member stationed in Kentucky, and have a former spouse living in another state, we can assist you in registering an out-of-state decree.
- Paternity issues. We represent putative fathers in situations in which they wish to assert their paternity over a child, and if they believe a child they are being told to support is not theirs.
- Prenuptial agreements. As modern families become increasingly complicated, protecting assets through a prenuptial agreement is a useful option. We recommend these agreements for individuals who intend to remarry and have children they wish to protect financially.
- Interstate family law issues. Kentucky has adopted the Uniform Child Custody and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which lists states’ requirements for exercising jurisdiction over child custody matters. We have experience working with UCCJEA requirements on custody issues across state borders.
- Child removals. When a dependant can be proven to have been abused or neglected by a parent, we can work to have the child removed to a safer environment.
- Spousal maintenance/alimony. Kentucky is an equitable division state, which means whatever assets — including a home, cars or other joint possessions — that you acquired together with your spouse while married must be divided equally upon your separation or divorce, unless otherwise agreed or determined by a court. We can help you sort through your asset and finance issues, either in negotiation with your parting spouse, or in court.
Fort Campbell Family Law Attorneys
Many of the categories listed above have special resonance for personnel, and the families of personnel, stationed at Fort Campbell army base.
Our legal staff can work to get you results concerning your military divorce, child custody, child support, modifications or other family law matter.
Contact Us Today in Hopkinsville, Kentucky
We understand that family law matters involve some of the most intimate and private aspects of our lives. As such, we take our family law practice very seriously.
Come to us, and we will listen to your story without judgment, and work hard to resolve your issues. Our discussions will always be confidential, and you can trust that our work will be honest, fair and comprehensive for your needs.
To discuss your situation with a lawyer who understands your needs, contact the Law Office of Hicks & Demps today.